7/14/2009

Transportation circumstances for bikes in NY


I am going to write about my first impression of transportation circumstances for bikes in NY.

First the rules of the road are completely opposite. You have to cycle on the right side of street which annoyed me. Drivers were much more dangerous than Japan. I lived in one of the most dangerous drive cities in Japan. But It's more dangerous here.

Bikes are not as popular as in they are in Japan. People usually use cars instead of bikes. I thought that this was the biggest difference. I saw less bikes on the street. There were a lot of parking violations of bikes on the street in Japan, on the other hand there were quite few in NY.

There were a lot of obstacles on the street which are not in Japan. There were a lot of bumps, holes in side ditches where bikes couldn't cycle fast. There were few toilets and few vending machines in NY. I have to adjust myself to it.

But there was a quite strong point in NY which didn't exist in Tokyo. There were Bike paths. If I make use of paths, I can avoid a lot of problems on the street. I know there are tens of thousands of bicycle commuters in Manhattan. They must usually make use of them. I cycled across the Manhattan Bridge, and the west side of Manhattan using bicycle lanes. These bike rides were some of the best cycling in my life.

Anyway, I'll continue to study the transportation circumstances for bikes in NY. I brought my bike from Japan to study it!

No comments:

Post a Comment