7/24/2009

The “Name” problem


Now I am remembering new words everyday. I found that a lot of things in the US are different from Japan. Especially proper names. I have to remember a lot of “names”.

Human name : It's difficult for me to remember and pronounce Western people's name.
names of food : Almost Every name is different in Japan.

e.g.1 “vanilla” is “banira” in Japanese. The words resemble each other, but the pronunciation is totally different.

e.g.2 When I am living in Japan, I sometimes visit Subway and Starbucks Coffee. The names of the items on these shop's are different from Japan's! So I have to lean them again.

These kinds of words are not taught in English classes in Japan. TOEFL and TOEIC classes do not teach them either.

I found that the English which is taught in Japan's educational system is not sufficient for the conditions of living in the US, but just part of the necessary conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment