6/12/2009

Phonics

I am learning Phonics. Phonics is the method which teaches how to connect the sounds of spoken English with letters or groups of letters.

I had learned the phonetic symbol once before, but I could not pronounce them well because the phonetic symbols were not connected with words. Then I couldn't make use of the phonetic symbols.

It is too strange for Japanese to understand English pronunciation, because there are many unknown sounds in English like voiceless sounds (consonants) and unknown vowels.

Phonics can teach us how to pronounce English correctly, and give English learners confidence regarding of pronunciation. I think that this is the most useful effect aspect of Phonics.

Phonics is not well known in Japan. Japanese do not learn Phonics in both compulsory schools and high schools. I regret that Phonics is not taught in Japan.

***reference
Japanese Google search result
276,000hit, Hatsuon kigou発音記号 (phonetic symbol in Japanese)
85,000hit, fonikkusu フォニックス(Phonics in Japanese )
19,000hit, Phonics

Phonetic symbol is more popular than Phonics in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment